Magna Carta Memorial
Runnymede Meadow, Near Egham,
1957: Magna Carta Memorial - Standing at the foot of the Cooper's Hill Slopes is a memorial to the Magna Carta
in the form of a domed classical temple containing a pillar of English granite on which is inscribed:
'To commemorate Magna Carta, symbol of Freedom Under Law.'
This was built by the American Bar Association on land leased by the Magna Carta Trust.
It was paid for by voluntary contributions of some 9,000 American lawyers.
The memorial was designed by Sir Edward Maufe R.A. and unveiled on 18 July 1957
at a ceremony attended by American and English lawyers.
Magna Carta Tea Rooms &
Fairhaven Memorial Lodges, designed and built by Edwin Lutyens and given to the national Trust in
1931 by Lady Fairhaven. They are matched in design by a pair of kiosks at the southern end of
Runnymede Meadow, near the Runnymede-On-Thames Hotel.
Urban Hanlon Broughton Memorials :: After the death of Urban Broughton in 1929, Sir Edwin Lutyens was
commissioned to design a memorial consisting of kiosks and piers at the Egham end and with lodges and piers
integrating the road layout and bridge design into his plans for the memorials. The kiosks were moved to their
present location when the M25 motorway was constructed. There are two octagonal kiosks with piers facing
each other across the A308 towards Egham. These piers are a shorter version of those adjacent to the lodges
either side of the same road towards Old Windsor in the
Long Mede area of
The lodges show typical Lutyens design features with steeply angled roofs, large false chimneys
and no rain water gutters at the eves. The piers carry similar inscriptions.
The memorials were opened in 1932 by the Prince of Wales (Edward VIII) and are Grade II listed buildings.
The Runnymede Meadow extends southwards to the A30 Egham Bypass and comprises some 188 acres in area.
It was given to the National Trust in 1931 by Lady Fairhaven. The meadows were used as a site for the
Racecourse from 1734-1884 when racing was moved to
invading the Egham meetings. On 31/12/1943 a US Airfoce B-17 bomber crash landed on the Meadow and all
the crew escaped unhurt. Beyond the Meadow is Cooper’s Hill Woods – 110 acres in area,
which was given to the National Trust in 1964 by Egham Urban District Council.