Location, Map & View
describing a place in the meadows used to hold regular meetings. The Witan, Witenagemot or Council of the
Anglo-Saxon Kings of the 7th to 11th centuries was held
from time to time at
The Council met usually in the open air. This political organ was transformed in succeeding years,
The charter indicates
political representation also affecting the development of
limitation of power, equality and freedom under law has attracted placement there of monuments and commemorative symbols.
A: Magna Carta Memorial B: Air Forces Memorial C: Magna Carta Tea Rooms & Galleries
PDF download from
The view from the Air Forces Memorial (Coopers Hill overlooking the Magna Carta Memorial) across Runnymede Meadows
The Runnymede Meadow extends southwards to the A30 Egham Bypass and comprises some 188 acres in area.
It was given to the National Trust in 1931 by Lady Fairhaven. The meadows were used as a site for the
Racecourse from 1734-1884 when racing was moved to
invading the Egham meetings. Beyond the Meadow is Cooper’s Hill Woods – 110 acres in area,
which was given to the National Trust in 1964 by Egham Urban District Council.